Sunday, May 06, 2007

Spider-man 3

I guess it's a movies month, eh? I went and saw Spider-man 3 the other day and enjoyed it. Not as much as I thought I would, though. It was definitely the weakest of the three as the story seemed to get lost a bit at times with the multiple characters that were fighting with each other for my attention. I feel like I understand why everything was there and needed to be there.... yet it seems like there was just too much going on for not much of a payoff or something. I mean, you have to move Harry Osborne forward with his revenge and need to honor his father, that was a given. They did a great job of introducing Venom (not that I'm a comic book pro or fan) and letting it really get the best of Peter as he also seeks revenge for his uncle's death. But, I don't think that was the point. I mean, it wasn't that we wanted Peter to deal with his need for revenge, it was that he had to let go of his uncle and forgive his uncle's killer (to be a true Hero, that is). Then, to bring Harry and Peter back together before his death, they have to have two villains for Spidey to take on so Harry comes to Spidey's aid. Meh. It was just a bit much.

I really liked the first two flicks as they seemed to focus on the emotional side of a dorky kid coming to grips with his life changing so drastically. This film WANTED to but never seemed to really hold on to it as the chaos around Peter became a bit much. The more I think about the movie, the more I think it was a very hard balancing act. A delicate balancing act and they just barely pulled it off. I'm just left to wonder... Was there any chance of simplifying this story?

No comments: